Removing Fear Brings Freedom


I was looking forward to enjoying an evening concert when, as I entered the hall, an elderly lady directly in front of me tripped and fell.  My heart went out to her and I felt called to action.  What should I do?  I leaned down and, taking her by the hand, looked her in the eyes and said firmly, "You are all right!".  Immediately, the fear in her face vanished and she let me help her to her feet.  Her friends then surrounded her and I didn't speak to her again until intermission when she came up to me and thanked me for my help.

What had taken place here?  My words "You are all right", weren't a glib statement, but based on my certainty that God is always embracing everyone in His care.  My quick actions of leaning down, taking her hand, looking her in the eye and speaking to her couldn't by themselves change the situation, but because they were inspired by God, who is Love, they had an immediate healing influence.  Mary Baker Eddy, a spiritual pioneer and Christian healer, explained the power of Love-impelled action in her book, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures.  She wrote:
"Always begin your treatment by allaying the fear of patients.  Silently reassure them as to their exemption from disease and danger.  Watch the result of this simple rule of Christian Science and you will find that it alleviates the symptoms of every disease.  If you succeed in wholly removing the fear, your patient is healed."
You can learn more about what Eddy learned about Christian healing from her book.  Read Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures online or purchase it from Amazon or any major book retailer.  It is also available for sale or study at the Christian Science Reading Room in Evergreen, Colorado at 4602 Plettner Lane.